Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blog Wasteland

This is my inaugural post. In my attempt to find a name for this blog, I searched the interweb high and low for a blog title that has not already been taken. What I've noticed during my search is that the blogosphere sort of resembles the scene when you step out of your apartment on a rainy day in Manhattan. On those rainy days, you encounter dozens of cheap umbrellas that have been destroyed by the wind and abandoned by their owners, who must've only purchased them in vain just hours before. See where I'm going with this? Blogs too, seem to be sought out by ambitious writers, eager to share their thoughts about the world, only to be abandoned by their owners a few weeks later. Like those umbrellas, the elements are just strong to keep the project afloat; in the case of blogs, people are busy and need to do things, like watch movies and go to work. It seems to me like the only blogs that remain intact are those fancy, expensive umbrella types: the ones that are written by people who make blogging a full time occupation, for publications that pay them to do so.

Having said all that, I'm starting a blog! I don't know what will come of it, but hey, it's worth a try while I'm still ambitious. The name I've given it for now is The Kiddush Club, which, according to Wikipedia "is a slang term applied wherever an informal group of people leave a synagogue's sanctuary during Jewish services on Shabbat (Saturday) morning to congregate, make kiddush (frequently over liquor) and socialize. Participants often leave services during the Haftorah reading or the sermon." I thought it was apt.

I am interested in politics, and particularly enjoy the writings of what I consider to be more thoughtful political writers: Michael Lind, John Judis, and Sam Tanenhaus, to name a few. They tend to write about American political history, which is crucial to understanding mere "politics." I also enjoy going to and discussing movies, Judaism, stand-up comedy, history, and philosophy. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment